Also known as the Hallettsville Graveyard
HALLETTSVILLE, LAVACA COUNTY, TEXAS
Hallettsville Memorial Park
Land originally property of Mrs. Mary Jane Hallett Ballard, who deeded it to trustees of the "Hallettsville Graveyard" in 1870. Area pioneers were buried here until 1898. The monument in center honors county's heroes in battles of the Alamo, Goliad, Gonzales, and San Jacinto.
After 1898 the cemetery fell into disuse and weeds overgrew it. In 1952 several civic groups persuaded the city to establish a public park here; a group of leading citizens supervised its development. The city and local garden club have maintained the park and grounds since 1952.
The Hallettsville Memorial Park was the first cemetery for the city of Hallettsville. It is located at 316 S. Dowling Street, bordered by Church and South Ford Streets. Dislocated markers have been placed in several cement slabs in an effort to preserve them. However, some of the markers in these slabs were taken from isolated rural burial places in the 1950s in a somewhat misguided attempt to save them. Some graves were also exhumed from here and reinterred in the newer City Cemetery.
In his 1982 survey, Sammy Tise located 128 markers, four memorial benches, a marker honoring Alamo and San Jacinto heroes, and seven Texas historical markers. His survey was published in Lavaca County, Texas Cemetery Records, Volume II. The earliest deaths memorialized here are on a single marker for four members of the John M. and Mary Garnet Ashby family who died between July 4, 1833 and August 22, 1835.
Lavaca County Heroes of the Texas Revolution[monument dedicated in 1970]
"Lexington of Texas"
"First Judge of Lavaca County"
Links above lead to biographies at the Handbook of Texas or San Jacinto Museum of History web site.
Other historical markers at the cemetery honor:
Named for Mrs. Margaret Hallett, widow of John Hallett, a member of Austin's colony and a veteran of San Jacinto, who donated the town site. 1936
William Ponton, Ponton's Creek, May 1834. O'Dougherty Family: Father and three childre; and John Douglas Family: Father, Mother and two children, Clark's Creek, March 4, 1836. John Hibbins and George Creath, Rocky Creek, March, 1836. Jacob T. Stiffler, Big Brushy, October 1837. Archibald Smothers and companion named Nunnelley, Hallett Settlement, 1838. Tucker Foley, August 5, 1840. Callahan, Half Moon League, June 1841. - 1967
(May 17, 1833 - February 21, 1921) Native Alabamian, last surviving member of West Point class of 1852, lawyer, colonel in 7th Texas Confederate Cavalry, participant in Sibley's New Mexico campaign, commanded volunteer land troops on board Confederate ship Neptune during Battle of Galveston, wounded and commended for role in engagement near Berwick Bay in Louisiana, led brigade at battles of Mansfield and Pleasant Hill in Louisiana, major-general in Confederate Army. Buried in city cemetery, Hallettsville. 1963
Born in Alabama. Came to Texas in 1834. Served in the Army of Texas, 1836. A member of Captain William Heard's Company of Citizen Soldiers at the Battle of San Jacinto. 1956
Came to Texas about 1832. Fought in the Texas War for Independence at Bexar, 1835 and at San Jacinto, 1836. Died in Lavaca County, 1849. 1963.
Came to Texas in 1835; served in the Texas Army from October 3 to December 14, 1835. Member Company D, First Regiment Texas Volunteers at San Jacinto, 1836. Erected by the State of Texas, 1962
Born Tennessee. Legislator. Went to Missouri 1853. Indian agent Kansas. Territory Kansas representative U.S. Congress 1854-57. Moved Texas before Civil War. Organized Lavaca County company for C.S.A. 1861, led 4th Battalion Texas Cavalry Pea Ridge, Ark. wounded battle Iuka, Miss. Leading legion. Made brigadier general 1863. Left command due to ill health, fall 1863. Lavaca County delegate to Texas constitutional conventions, 1866, 1875. A memorial to Texans who served the Confederacy Erected by the State of Texas 1963
Text of Civil War Centennial gravemarker placed in 1963: General John Wilkens Whitfield, Brigadier General, C.S.A. Battle of Pea Ridge, commanded "Whitfield's Legion" at Iuka, Brigade commander Vicksburg Campaign, Texas legislator.
Whitfield's Legion, C.S.A.
(on back of General John W. Whitfield marker)
Originated with Cavalry company organized by Capt. J. W. Whitfield in Lavaca County 1861. Joined C.S.A. troops in Missouri to put Missouri, Kansas in Confederacy. Became part 4th Battalion Texas Cavalry participating Battle Pea Ridge, Ark. Mar. 1862. Organized as 27th Texas Cavalry Regt., commonly called "Whitfield's Legion", Apr. 1862. Soon dismounted, sent to reinforce Gen. Beauregard at Corinth, Miss. Rendered valorous service at Battle Iuka, Sept. 1862 with 106 killed and wounded in successful charge against artillery battery. Protected retreating C.S.A. battery. Protected retreating C.S.A. Army at Hatchie River. Fought Battle Spring Hill, Miss. March 1863. Remounted and made part 2nd cavalry brigade commanded by Gen. Whitfield. Defeated Federals in attack at Messinger's Ferry, Miss. July 1863. Upon Gen. Whitfield's retirement Gen. "Sul" Ross assumed command and brigade gained renown as Ross Texas Brigade. - 1964
Brigadier General, C.S.A. Battle of Pea Ridge, commanded "Whitfield's Legion" at Iuka, Brigade commander Vicksburg Campaign, Texas legislator. Erected by the State of Texas 1963 [pink granite civil war centennial marker]
Came to Texas in 1831. Member Captain William H. Patton's Company at the Battle of San Jacinto. Served in the Vasquez Campaign and against the Indians in 1842. Died in 1874. Erected by the State of Texas 1956.
Return to Lavaca County Cemeteries