L - M
Most of the following information comes from Sammy Tise's Lavaca County Texas Cemetery Records, Volumes 1-VI. Several people have volunteered to do lookups in his cemetery surveys for you. The books are also available for purchase.
Please contact Regena if you have done a cemetery survey or have more information or cemetery photos to share.
This small family cemetery has four markers, the oldest of which is for J. M. Ledbetter, who died 30 Jan 1873. The cemetery is located on the east bank of the Navidad River 4.3 miles south of Sublime on FM 3283.
List of burials from Sammy Tise's Lavaca County, Texas Cemetery Records:
Ledbetter, J. M., died 30 Jan 1873, 3 months, 32 days
Ledbetter, W. J., died 24 Nov 1873, 3 years, 3 months, 29 days
Ledbetter, Minnie, 23 Jun 1876 - 23 Jun 1876
Unknown, Patrick Henry, no dates
The Lewandowski Cemetery is the resting place of Otto Hillary Lewandowski (14 Jan 1914 - 12 Apr 1977). The cemetery is located on his family farm which is located about eight miles north of Hallettsville, west of Highway 77. There is only one grave. His wife, Willie Mae Christen Lewandowski, is buried in the Resthaven Cemetery at Trenton, Missouri.
This cemetery has only four markers, with the earliest being for Rev. Dr. James Light on 21 May 1875. To get to the cemetery, go south out of Hallettsville on CR1 for approximately ten miles, turn right onto CR 456 and the cemetery is approximately .6 miles on the right.
There are only about twenty markers in this small well kept family cemetery. The oldest marker is for Sophie Loetsch who died in 1882. According to Sammy Tise's directions: drive east from Hallettsville on 90-A, turn right on FM 530, turn left at the first road and look for a Mascheck mail box on the left. The cemetery is about 1/4 mile up the private drive and about 100 yards from the house.
This cemetery has five markers and three unknown graves. The oldest marker is for Ondrej Matula who died 16 Aug 1898. To visit the cemetery go south on FM 530 to the first road to the right after you pass Vienna, go to the tee and turn left. Stay on this road until it bends to the right and there is a road that keeps going straight. Go straight here to a metal gate. Walk down the fence line on the right about one-half mile. The cemetery is on the left about 100 yards out in a pasture.
List of Burials:
Bartos, Frank, died 1901
Haidusek, Mrs. Julia, 13 Feb 1866 - 18 May 1914
Matula, Jos F. 27 Brz 1863 - 6 Dub 1921, son of Andre and Mary Matula according to death certificate
Matula, Ondrej, 1810 - 16 Srp 1898
Matula, Mary, 23 Jun 1866 - 6 Mar 1934, birth listed as 27 Mar 1863 and death as 5 Mar 1934 on death certificate, father's surname was Kaipita, mother's was Wick
Unknown, wooden cross - illegible
Unknown, broken concrete cross - illegible
This cemetery is on the east side of FM 530 about 1.5 miles north of where the Navidad River crosses it. There are two Miller Cemeteries in the vicinity. This one is on the A. H. Honish place. There are five markers. The oldest is for Alexander Miller who died 24 October 1880.
List of burials from Sammy Tise's Lavaca County, Texas Cemetery Records:
Miller, A. G. 26 Sep 1866 - 16 Jan 1900, first name was Ambros, son of Henry and F. A. Miller
Miller, Alexander, 29 Oct 1869 - 24 Oct 1880, son of Henry and F. A. Miller
Miller, Mrs. F. A., 22 Feb 1828 - 29 May 1883, nee Gray, born in Mississippi, married to Henry Miller
Miller, Henry, 24 Mar 1822 - 8 Jun 1894, born in South Carolina
Miller, Mrs. M. E., 14 Sep 1837 - 27 Nov 1886
There is only one marker with two names on it at this cemetery. It contains the name of Jonnie Miller (01 Sep 1855 - 26 Apr 1861) and Thomas M. Miller (09 Dec 1857 - 05 May 1863). The marker was once surrounded by a picket fence and it appears that another picket fence once contained another five or six graves. To visit the cemetery go 1.2 miles north of the Navidad River on FM 530. It is on the west side of the road, .7 mile back into the woods on the left side of the old road and about 150 feet from Sandy Creek.
Also known as Old Oldham Cemetery
See a listing of burials in the Moore Cemetery.
Surnames include Moore, Nelson, and Whorton.
This cemetery has been badly neglected and, while it now contains six markers, it appears to have been much larger at one time. The oldest marked grave is for little Rosa L. Close who died 14 Sep 1872, just short of her second birthday. Go north from Hallettsville on FM 957 to the crossroads at the Moravia Store. Turn right, go about .9 mile. The cemetery is on the right about fifty yards into the woods.
The cemetery is located next to the Catholic church at Moravia on FM 957. There are over 250 markers. The oldest is for Vincencia Gajdousek who died 12 Sep 1913.
To visit the cemetery, go out of Hallettsville on South Main Street, cross the Lavaca River and take the first road to the left. Follow this to Mossy Grove Church and turn in to the left beside the church and follow the road back to the cemetery.
See a listing of burials in the Mossy Grove Cemetery in the Lavaca County USGenWeb Archives.
Surnames include Adams, Anders, Autry, Avant, Bassham, Baucom, Baumgarten, Bowen, Brady, Brown, Chapman, Daily, Davis, Farrell, Frost, Garner, Gloor, Grandberry, Gregory, Hall, Henry, Hill, Jacobs, Johnson, Legget, Livergood, Long, Mallick, Moore, Morgan, Murphy, Nolen, Norrell, Patteson, Ponton, Price, Ralph, Reagan, Runley, Ruxley, Shaw, Spear, Spivey, Stockton, Strickling, Tanksley, Tarkington, Vick, Williams, Wilson, and Zumwalt.
The oldest marker of more than 1200 in the cemetery is for Adele Anna Lockmann who died March 8, 1881. To get to the cemetery drive to Moulton on Hwy 95. Turn on FM 532, turn right at FM 1680. Go past the catholic cemetery about 1/4 mile. The Moulton City Cemetery is on the right.
Also known as Moulton Cemetery
This cemetery contains about 350 markers and lies near where the city of Moulton was originally located. From Moulton, take FM 1680 1 mile northwest then go south on Old Moulton Cemetery Road 1 mile.
Text from the Historical Marker:
Old Moulton Cemetery
Although local oral tradition holds that there may be older interments, the earliest documented grave in this cemetery is that of Louisa Lattimer (1842-1857). Early settlers Robert H. and Eliza J. McGinty deeded some land for cemetery use. Those interred here include Lavaca County pioneers; former slaves; a large number of children; victims of 19th-century diseases and epidemics; and veterans of the Texas Revolution, the Civil War, World War I, World War II, Korea, and Vietnam. Of the hundreds of graves in the Old Moulton Cemetery, many remain unmarked. 1991
Text from the pink granite historic marker at Isaac Hamilton's grave site:
Isaac D. Hamilton
Came to Texas from Alabama in January 1836. A member of Captain Jack Shackelford's Red Rover Company under Colonel Fannin's Command, March 18-19, 1836. Miraculously escaped from the Goliad Massacre. Erected by the State of Texas 1956
Photo of markers for Isaac D Hamilton, born ca 1804 in Green Co, Tennessee, and his wife, Mary, who died January 6, 1860 at age 39, was contributed by Charlotte C. Smith. The Hamiltons lived in Harris County.
The oldest marker in this cemetery is for John W. Moores who died August 1, 1859. There are both white and African-Americans buried in this cemetery. The black section is up the hill toward the back fence and the markers are not as old as in the white section. It's possible that the white portion of the cemetery was once called the Burt Cemetery and the black part the Mount Olive Cemetery. There are thirty marked graves and at least twenty others that are not marked. Go south from Hallettsville on FM 318, turn left at the Mont Store, turn right at the first road, cross the bridge and the cemetery is at the first gate to the right and up on the hill.
The cemetery marker by the front gate says:
Mt. Olive Cemetery
Francis G. Culpepper
came to Texas in 1851
with his wife and 16
children. Also brought
He was a Primitive Baptisit
a descendant of
Lord Culpepper of England
and an outstanding citizen
of Lavaca County
Born 21 Jan 1804
Died 21 Oct 1903
Go south from Hallettsville on 77A. Turn right on FM 531. Take the first road to the right and the cemetery is up this road on the left, about .3 of a mile.