C - G
Most of the following information comes from Sammy Tise's Lavaca County Texas Cemetery Records, Volumes 1-VI. Several people have volunteered to do lookups in his cemetery surveys for you. The books are also available for purchase.
Please contact Regena if you have done a cemetery survey or have information or cemetery photos to share.
Eldor Spies mentioned this cemetery along with the Cathern School in his work on Lavaca County schools. The cemetery was between 2 and 3 tenths of a mile from the intersection of County Roads 122 and 123 East. It was not mentioned in any of Sammy Tise's cemetery books and we have not located it at this time. Please contact Regena Williamson if you know anything about this cemetery.
Go west out of Hallettsville on 90-A to FM 340 and take a right. Stay on FM 340 to second road to left, then go west to FM 1891 and stay on FM 1891 to the first road to right, go about one mile and the cemetery is on the left.
There are only six markers in this small family cemetery where the death dates on the markers are all in the 1880s. The fenced cemetery is located in the Ponton League near where a Baptist church once stood. The oldest marker is for 80-year-old W. R. Coleman who died 29 Oct 1881. To reach the cemetery drive north from Hallettsville on FM 957 for five miles. The cemetery will be on the right in the Kahanek family's pasture.
Also known as the Shimek Cemetery!
This cemetery is located in the Schindler pasture near Ezzell and contains the grave of Lucy A. DeBord, 15 May 1811 - 24 Dec 1853. Lucy was the husband of Stephen DeBord.
There is only one marker at this site. James Calvin Fitzhenry died in 1856 and was buried on the Peck League Ranch, on Peck Creek between Brushy and Chicolete Creeks. It is supposed to be about 1.2 miles from Chicolete Creek going north on highway 77, and about 1.2 miles east of the highway where Victoria, Dewitt and Lavaca Counties meet.
Apparently a cemetery for the Foster family at one time, there are only two markers and a part of a fence left. Both markers are from 1892.
This unkempt cemetery is at the edge of woods. It is fenced with hog wire and barbed wire and contained twenty-two markers. The oldest marker is for Daniel Gandy who died March 12, 1874. From Vienna go south on FM 530 ten miles, turn right on CR 14. Go six miles and take CR 14A to the left. Go three miles to a white and green pipe gate on the right which enters a pasture. Take the left of two trails through the woods for approximately .1 miles to the cemetery. There is no entrance gate and it is badly overgrown with brush and small trees.
This black cemetery is next to the Good Hope Missionary Baptist Church. The oldest of more than three hundred markers is for An Gardly who died May 15, 1888. However, many of the markers can no longer be read. To visit the cemetery go 1.7 miles east of Hallettsville on Hwy 90A and take the first dirt road to the right. Follow this road for one-half mile. The cemetery and church are on the right.